Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Baby Tag Toy

I made one of these toys for my baby before he was born. I don't remember where I got the original idea, but he loves his. He chews on the ribbon tags all the time. I take it in the grocery store where it is a toy and an emergency burp cloth if needed.

Here is a pink one I made.
I don't have a finished picture of the red one I am going to show you in the step by step directions and I don't have pictures of this pink one being made.
Use your imaginations!

Cut the shape you want (A square, circle, whatever) out of two pieces of fabric.
I like to use a plain cotton and something soft. The pink one has minky, this red one has fleece.
Truth be told, I have never bought anything to make these before. I just use what I have.

Cut some cute coordinating lengths of ribbon at about 4 inches.
I have three of each kind of ribbon cut here, but I didn't use them all.

Fold the ribbon lengths in half and pin them in between the two pieces of fabric.
Make sure to put them with the folded end facing in.
You can adjust the length of them in your end product now by allowing more of the un-folded ends to be sticking out at this point.
It is up to you!

After you have all sides situated with ribbon, sew around the fabric shape.
Be sure to leave a small section open!!! Just stop about 2 inches before you get back to where you started.
It is also a good idea to sew around twice. I don't always do this, but it is a good idea for extra durability.

Next, trim off the corners of your square at a diagonal. If you did a circle, clip in from the edge of the fabric to the seem (avoiding clipping it!!!) about ever inch all the way around.
These steps help the finished product turn correctly. After trimming, turn the whole project right side out! I like to stick a pen or my scissors in to poke out the corners.

When the whole thing is turned out correctly, hand stitch that little 2 inch section you used to turn your toy closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment