Sunday, March 14, 2010

A St. Patty's Day Outfit for the Boy!

I love making holiday themed shirts and things for my one year old.
For St. Patty's Day this year he will be sporting this:

I bought all of the fabric at Hobby Lobby.
For the shirt, I ironed on some wonder-under to this fabric.
Then, I carefully cut out 3 different printed shamrocks.

I took the pocket off of this shirt with my seam ripper and then ironed on the shamrocks across the front.

After quickly stitching these on with my machine, we were all set!

For the pants, I ironed on some more wonder-under to the back of the diamond fabric.

I used some brown packing paper to make a pattern for the knee patches.
I traced the top of this jar lid, slid it down an inch or so and then traced the bottom.

I connected to top semicircle with the bottom to make an oval and then cut out the pattern piece.

See?

I traced and cut two of these ovals from my fabric.

I ironed on the patches to the pants.
(My $1.25 find at Target, BTW.)

I then went to my machine to sew the patches on.
When I realized that the pant legs were never going to fit over the arm of my machine, I opted for option B. Sew by hand.

When I got to the end, I grabbed a small amount of the pant fabric that was hidden under the patch (careful not to go through the patch) and pulled the thread ALMOST tight. When I had a little loop close to the pants, I wrapped my needle around it three times and pulled it tight.
(A small sewing tip that I learned and thought I would share.)

This is what it looked like.
Do the other side and you are all set!

I think he will look cute and he definitely wont get pinched this St. Patty's Day!

2 comments: