Friday, December 17, 2010

The Halloween Rag Quilt

Here it is folks, the quilt that almost killed me.
It's a Halloween rag quilt for our Church's blanket trick or treating, of course!

8ft by 6ft
96 individually quilted and ragged blocks.

I used a different quilting technique for each block color.
Some have words or pictures. Some are just lines and swirls.


For this rag quilt I cut all of the squares out of the top fabric and also the back fabric (which was black).

I also cut the batting into squares an inch smaller than the fabric.

After making my block sandwiches with back fabric, batting, and top fabric, I quilted each block. I just used my regular sewing machine to do this. I drew designs onto the fabric with a disappearing marking pen and then "traced" them with my sewing machine. It was time consuming, but it wasn't difficult.

When all of the blocks were quilted, I sewed them together with wrong sides together. This puts the seams facing the top of the quilt.

After putting together all of the blocks, sit down, put on a movie and get comfy. Then start snipping! Wash the blanket and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I love that quilt!!! How much would I have to pay you to make one for me? :-) good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE that!!! I finished the rag quilt that i made for my almost-born granddaughter thanks to your instuctions. I put flannel in the middle since we live in a cold climate and she is being born in January. It turned out really cute (see my blog). BUT.....all that snipping gave me a blister on my thumb, and made my hand hurt (do you think this is old age?). I snipped for 3 days. And it was only about 40x40 finished. Oh, and i just kept sewing it backwards...putting the raw seam towards the back. Duh.... Took me twice as long, since i kept having to unpick. :)

    I must admit, i can't wait to make another one!!! But this time...larger squares. I think that would make for less snipping?

    ReplyDelete