Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Evolution of a Cape

This post is ridiculously overdue.
Months ago for a girls night activity, I was asked to figure out how to recreate this cape (below) from pottery barn.


At first, I took the literal approach. I traced the cape onto some butcher paper and made prototype number one. The only structural difference between this cape and the original is the fabric. This fabric is cotton because that is what I had on hand. This cape is made of three main pattern pieces and then a band at the collar as well as flaps for velcro. Having the three main pieces made the cape have a back and then two arm pieces that wrapped around the wearer's body. A little Dracula style.


Next, I tried a different fabric since the cotton really wasn't flying well.
This is still the same structure, but with one side in poly satin for shine and flight and the other side in cotton for color and whimsy.
It turned out to just be too much cape.

My next cape was just a little too far in the opposite direction. Too little cape.

Trying to find a middle ground, I ditched to two side arm pieces.
This cape was alright, but not fantastic. I put the velcro tabs too low, and that bothered me.


Then, it hit me. Simplify. Make the whole cape one piece!
I immediately pulled out my pattern paper (a large roll of butcher paper) and drew half an a-line shape with half of a U shape where the back of the neck would be.

I cut the pattern out on the bold of two colors of satin, sewed on some velcro. Sewed the two pieces right sides together, clipped my edges, flipped it right side out and topstitched.
It turned out great! And teaching others to make it went pretty good too!

No comments:

Post a Comment