Thursday, January 7, 2010

Jumbo Clothes Pin Mail Sorter

I saw this tutorial over at Make it and Love it and I had to try something similar for our mail.
Mail that needs to go out always gets forgotten. Things that require action get overlooked, etc.

No more.


This is what I bought. The rest of the stuff, I had.
I used:
Jumbo clothes pins (3) from Hobby Lobby
School glue (and water) for Mod Podge
Sponge brushes
Paint for the board
The board
An Exacto knife
and scrapbook paper.

I had this grand idea to paint the board cream with black and red accents. Then, to go through and paint cream again and 'antique' the edges and see the black and red.
Well, as you can see here. The light edges just didn't look right and the red and black 'highlights' I added were just bad. eww. Anyway. This is while the Mod Podge was drying.

To get the paper on, I painted the clips or board with the glue/water mixture. I laid the clips down on the paper, cut the paper off with an Exacto knife and then Mod Podged the top of each of them. For the board, I had to piece together two pieces of paper, but it worked in about the same way.

After the Mod Podge was dry, I went back and painted the edges of the board black. I also ran a few strokes across the paper for effect. :)

And because Ashley is SO smart, I copied her and added ribbon and buttons. The clips really needed them and it looks great! I can't wait for hubs to get home and figure out how to hang it in my office!

3 comments:

  1. OMG!! I'm practically screaming over here!! You're going to make me an EXACT replica of that right? Right!? Love, love, LOVE it!! And those are my colors, and damask, oh my!! I'm so serious right now!

    Like the new layout too.

    Now get to work on mine!!(pretty please?)Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!! if you decide to sell these, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and let us know how you ended up hanging it....

    ReplyDelete